The Shanghai Municipal People’s Government released, on 28th March 2016, the Circular by the Shanghai Municipal People’s Government on Several Issues Concerning the Participation in the Local Maternity Insurance and Unemployment Insurance by Chinese Employees without Registered Permanent Residence in Shanghai (Hu Fu Fa  No.20). The Shanghai Municipal Human Resources and Social Security Bureau and the Shanghai Municipal Medical Insurance Office released, on 31st March 2016, the Circular on Several Issues Relating to the Linkage of Medical Insurance Treatment for Chinese Employees without Registered Permanent Residence in Shanghai Following Their Participation in the Local Employees’ Basic Medical Insurance in the Year of 2016 (Hu Ren She Yi Fa  No.17). Relevant provisions in the two documents are written, as below:
The Circular by the Shanghai Government stipulates:
1. A Chinese employee without registered permanent residence in Shanghai (hereinafter referred to as non-Shanghaiese employee), who has established labor relationship with a local employing unit, shall participate in the local maternity insurance and unemployment insurance.
2. Following a non-Shanghaiese employee’s participation in the local maternity insurance, the employing unit, but not the individual, shall pay maternity insurance premiums in line with the quota basis and rate of social insurance, as set by the local regulations.
3. Following a non-Shanghaiese employee’s participation in the local unemployment insurance, both the employing unit and the individual shall pay unemployment insurance premiums based on the same payment proportion as that of local employees recruited by the employing unit. The quota basis shall be determined in accordance with that of payable pension insurance premiums.
4. Non-Shanghaiese employees shall be entitled to the treatment of the local maternity insurance and unemployment insurance in accordance with the relevant regulations of the State and the Municipality.
5. This circular shall come into effect as of 1st April 2016 and shall be valid till 31st March 2021. If local existing regulations do not comply with this circular, then this circular shall prevail.
The Circular by the Shanghai Municipal Human Resources and Social Security Bureau and the Shanghai Municipal Medical Insurance Office stipulates:
1. Individuals, who enjoyed medical insurance treatment of non-Shanghaiese employees in March 2016, as stipulated, shall be uniformly entitled to the local employees’ basic medical insurance treatment through adjustment as of 1st April 2016.
2. Non-Shanghaiese employees, who participated in medical insurance in March 2016, shall be entitled to the local employees’ basic medical insurance treatment as of 15th April 2016.
3. The above-mentioned regulations shall come into effect as of 1st April 2016 and shall be valid till 31st March 2017.